Prime Sheep Sales
Prime lamb auctions attract buyers from throughout the UK.Prime lambs are sold at Thainstone every Thursday starting with the first spring lambs from the beginning of May onwards. The autumn season emphasis is on grass-fed lambs straight off their mothers.
Excellent numbers in the Spring seasonOur prime lamb peak season is February, March and April which covers the Easter market. Once supplies dry up further south, buyers are tempted up to Thainstone by weekly entries of between 2,000 and 5,000 prime lambs every week.
There is a strong competitive element to the prime sheep business with special shows and sales held throughout the spring starting with a Beltex event in March. The Suffolk sired lambs compete at their own show and sale in May followed by a Texel event in June.
Top quality Classic prime stockA seasonal highlight is the prime lamb pairs competition and sale at the Christmas Classic in early December. Winning pairs are fiercely bid over by butchers looking for something extra special to put in their Christmas counters.
- Advice and Assistance for selection of prime lambs can be arranged by contacting our experienced team.
- Our back office team will also be able to assist you with payment on the day of the sale
- We inform SAMU of sheep movements on your behalf
- We can also assist in arranging lairage and haulage for both buyers and sellers
- We also can carry out belly clipping services
- Financing available
- We proactively market your stock and contact potential buyers on your behalf
- Special Show & Sale
Consignors should note that sheep should be properly tagged, as required by the sheep identification regulations.
A movement licence must accompany stock.